Pages

Saturday, April 13, 2013

Bach Festival 2013 - Why Bach Was a Mastermind

The yearly Bach Festival has arrived, and I (Grace) will be competing this Sunday. My piece is the French Ă–vuerture.
The piece makes me wonder what Bach was like. I wish I could've met him - he was so brilliant. It must have been dark times for him when he composed the French Overture, or at least the first part of it. The piece makes me able to visualize Bach, saying "God...look what's happened." But he isn't crying. It's just pretty dark. Actually, Bach did lose a lot of close people. He had twenty kids, most of whom died. His first wife died. His second wife died as well.
If you heard even the first chord, you'd understand what I'm rambling on about. It's direct and straight to the heart. It's the sensation that you kinda want to cry and you kind of don't but you're a bit too tired to anyway. 
My piano teacher said, and I agree, that it's like a man who has a lot of inner pain but still maintains a strong outward look.
She also said, that to play my piece, there must be:

  • nobility
  • gracefulness
  • glory
  • humility
  • gentleness
And I think also, the image of Jesus on the cross. 

The piece is in a sharp, dramatic b minor. Not a warm F Major. Not a wet, sad b-flat minor. B minor.
Yet throughout the whole piece Bach wove hope. The piece is so sad, yet the last chord (which is also sad) is so full of glory. Glory to God.
Bach said it better - "Ad majorem Dei gloriam."

No comments:

Post a Comment